Business and IP Counseling
Offering Business and IP Counseling Services to Birmingham Companies
From forming or acquiring the right kind of business entity to intellectual property disputes and mergers and acquisitions, experienced business and IP counseling legal services can go a long way to ensuring that you have a successful and hassle-free business operation on your hands.
Birmingham business and IP counseling lawyer Maxwell Goss of Maxwell Goss Law can assist you with confronting and resolving various issues that may arise during the course of a business enterprise. We can also assist you with business compliance and regulatory issues. Finally, in the event a dispute arises during the course of your business enterprise, we can assist you with resolving the dispute, and if necessary, litigating the dispute in the court system to a successful conclusion. Please call us today to find out more about how we can counsel you on your business and IP needs.
Forming and Acquiring a Business
When it comes to business formation, there are numerous options that are available in the State of Michigan. Some of these business entities include sole proprietorships, partnerships, various types of corporations, and limited liability companies. At Maxwell Goss Law, we can counsel you on which type of business structure is best for you and your business and can assist you with taking the legal steps necessary to actually set up and establish your business.
Disputes among Shareholders, Officers, and Directors
In the corporate setting, disputes sometimes arise between the officers and directors of a corporation and the shareholders – or between the shareholders themselves. In some instances, these disputes involve breaches of fiduciary duties. When it comes to shareholders, disputes often arise when the majority shareholders abuse their power and act in a way that is contrary to the minority shareholders and the corporation. In the context of a limited liability company (LLC), disputes sometimes arise among members of the LLC.
Our law firm can counsel you on how to resolve these disputes without litigation. If that does not work, we can assist you with litigating the dispute in the court system to a conclusion.
Business regulations, especially those pertaining to the internet and technology, are often put forth by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). It is important that business entities comply with these regulations, or they may face significant financial harm and other penalties. Our business attorney can help to ensure that your business is compliant with all of the applicable state and federal regulations that are in place.
Intellectual Property Disputes
Oftentimes, business disputes arise over copyright infringements and the unauthorized use of a company’s intellectual property or trade secrets. At Maxwell Goss Law, we handle all types of IP matters for your company, and we will work to resolve a pending intellectual property dispute in the most effective and efficient manner on your behalf, contact us today.
Frequently Asked Questions
An NDA can be a powerful tool for protecting proprietary information and trade secrets. Business owners should wish to consider an NDA when such information is to be shared with
- Potential investors and partners
- Vendors and contractors
- Employees, especially key employees with access to information
- Some potential customers and licensees
Read more here to learn more about when an NDA may or may not be appropriate for your business or project.
Some key phases in the litigation process include:
- Investigation – We thoroughly investigate the facts of your case to identify the legal issues involved and evaluate liability and damages.
- Pleadings – We craft initial pleadings to submit to the court that set forth your claims or defenses in a clear, persuasive manner.
- Discovery – We obtain documents and take depositions of knowledgeable witnesses to assemble the evidence that will help your case.
- Motion Practice – We write powerful legal briefs and argue forcefully in court to win the fights that matter throughout the litigation.
- Settlement Negotiations – At all appropriate junctures, we negotiate strategically to achieve a favorable resolution as early as possible.
- Trial – When a case goes to trial, we present evidence and hammer home case themes in a manner designed to win over the jury or judge.
Litigation can be daunting, whether it’s a modest contract dispute or a complex, bet-the-company lawsuit. At Maxwell Goss Law, we streamline the process and keep our clients fully informed while diligently advancing their interests.
Business Counseling Client